Clusters: The cluster based deployment is an integrated and a holistic approach, which is an effective way for all round development and competitiveness of the country’s MSME sector through Large sector to OEMs. Not only does it enhance employee capabilities, it also upgrades quality and technological know-how.
This approach has proved to be an effective and successful tool for upgradation of industry all over the country in a cost effective manner. The capability development initiatives in various clusters have reportedly delivered remarkable results. Apart from quantitative benefits, it also enhances employee capabilities and helps in achieving excellence in manufacturing processes.
Cluster Services are rendered through a well-selected pool of technical experts specializing in different disciplines. These experts extend support to members and help them overcome their problems and weaknesses.
5S, Advance 5S, Total Employees Involvement (TEI), Quality & Productivity improvement, Equipment and Inventory management, Lean Processes, Lean tooling, New Product Development, Lead time reduction, Cost competitiveness, Zero Defect Quality while reducing impact on environment, Energy conservation, Innovations in manufacturing processes and systems are some major areas which are emphasized upon during the cluster programs.
The major clusters include ACT UNIDO partnership cluster, ACT Foundation cluster, ACT Advance cluster, ACT Engineering Excellence cluster, ACT Export Cluster, New product development (NPD) cluster and ZED (Zero Effect and Zero Defect) Cluster. ACT has also entered into new services of supporting OEMs. Force Motors Ltd, Pithampur is one example where entire plant is undergoing cluster approach from Apr 2016. ACT is also in process of launching ACT New Product Design Cluster, ACT Innovation Cluster and ACT Digitization Cluster in coming days.
ACT believes that there is ample evidence to suggest that a cluster policy brings additional positive effect to existing SME policy in industrialized economies and strives for perfection in that sphere.
Overseas Training: ACT, in cooperation with GIZ , Germany has started conducting Expert Information Seminar “ Resource Efficiency Seminar for India” from June 2016 at Germany which is primarily focussing on Improving Resource efficiencies of Water, Energy, Material to improve throughput across supply chain. Also , A joint program is launched at North region with 5 companies as RE- Resource Efficiency Cluster pilot program for one year.
Certified Courses: To achieve excellence in manufacturing, the industry needs competent people and robust systems and processes to compete globally. In order to meet this objective and create a skilled workforce, ACT is proposing following programs in coming days:
- Leadership Development : Mentoring mentors
- M.Sc. in Advanced Lean Manufacturing ( India – UK Joint program)
- Quality Management Program (5 days)
Publications: A large amount of knowledge sharing is attained through ACT’s publications. These include the following –
- ACT Now: To upgrade ACMA members on technology front and keep them abreast of the latest developments in the auto component industry, ACT launched its first newsletter called “ACT now” in 2007. Over a period of time “ACT now” has established itself as an information disseminator on Cluster Activities, Six Sigma, WP.29, ACT AOTS Programmes, Kaizen, QC, AIS, BIS, CMVR, NPD and various other Government related activities. Besides this, it has been regularly sharing the Best Practices among ACMA member companies. From 2014 , ACT has started publishing the ACT Now issue as a Special issue on ACMA Awards at ACMA AGM in Aug / Sep each year.
- Book on CN’s Saying: C.Narasimhan , is Chief Mentor ACT guiding auto component sector for over a decade and his thoughts are being compiled by ACT Team for the benefit of industry under “Excellence in Manufacturing ….Inestimable Matras by CN“
- Book on Indian Production System by CN: Vol – I of Indian Production System by CN is available
- Book on Before – After Photos: ACT has designed a book on improvements which were done during cluster implementation as a publication from 2016.
- Book on Innovation : ACT is also designing a book on Innovations – Implemented case studies as a publication from Jan 2017
- ACT Cluster Culmination reports are available for all clusters from year 2015 onwards.
Research and Development Projects: To make ACMA members technically strong, ACT has taken various initiatives in collaboration with several institutions like the Technology Information Forecasting Assessment Council (Under Department of Science & Technology, Government of India) and Fraunhofer Institutes in Germany. ACT organizes various workshops and interactive sessions with Fraunhofer Institutes on topics like Resource Efficient Production, Light Weighting, Product Design and Testing, which are critical for the industry today.
Conferences / ACT Manufacturing Excellence Summit: The first ACT International Conference combined with ACT summit was held in February 2015 with a theme of “ Beyond Zero Defects” . This brought in a gamut of international speakers, competitions and summit for ACT Cluster companies. ACT Conducts various case study competitions during ACT Summit including Quality (Customer Delight); Environment (Nature Delight); TEI- Total Employee Involvement (Employee Delight); Innovation (Stakeholders Delight)